How To Attach Kayak Paddle Leash
When you begin kayaking, you should learn some simple skills, one being how to attach a kayak paddle leash. A kayak paddle leash is for making sure your kayak paddle doesn't get lost or float away while you're on your kayak. There are two main types of kayak leashes: store bought and homemade. It's not suggested that you use store bought leashes, because they tend to be too long. When you make your kayak leash, you should have some idea of how long you want it. The usual length is four feet, but it's all a matter of personal preference. After you have your ideal length in mind, you can begin to construct the actual paddle leash.
To make your kayak paddle leash, you will need:
- 550 cord (you can usually find 550 cord at Army surplus stores)
- Measuring tape
- A metal snap clip (you can find a metal snap clip at any hardware store)
- A cord lock (you can find a cord lock at any sporting goods store)
- Fasten the metal clip to the cord. Take the other end and tie the metal snap to it. Use a bowline knot to ensure it doesn't slip in the water.
- Push the 550 cord through the cord lock. You'll need to press the button down on the cord lock to be able to push the cord through. Pull enough cord through so it can wrap around the center of your paddle.
- Now thread it back through the cord lock to keep it in place. Clip the snap lock on your deck line or strap eye on your kayak.
It is strongly recommend that you do not buy your own kayak paddle leash. It's easier and cheaper to simply make your own. Make sure that you are satisfied with your homemade paddle leash before using it.