How To Backpack Through Europe
If you're wondering how to backpack through Europe, rest assured that it's as challenging as you might think. These tips will start you off on the right foot.
- Plan your itinerary in advance. This will give you some idea of how much to budget for your Europe trip.
- Buy a Eurail pass. This is a good idea especially if you're traveling in Western Europe. Eurail passes are available for single countries, multiple countries or entire regions of the continent, and they can save you a lot of money on transit expenses.
- Pack light. Remember, you're going to have to carry whatever you bring, so only bring what you absolutely need. That said, be prepared for all climates and all types of weather, especially if you're planning to travel throughout the whole of Europe.
- Look for cheap accommodation. Stay at hostels to get the most out of your backpacking adventure in Europe. You'll meet other travelers and forge lifelong friendships.
- Cook for yourself. While everyone wants to savor local fare when traveling, save money by cooking most of your meals yourself.
- Don't neglect the countryside. By all means, visit and enjoy Europe's major cities and famous attractions, but don't sell yourself short. Get out into the countryside and off the beaten path for a real taste of European culture.
- Visit the Eastern Bloc. Eastern Europe is still cheap and very, very different from the countries west of the former Iron Curtain. You'd be missing something if you didn't venture into Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia and the former Soviet Satellite states.
Posted on: Mar. 31, 2010