Cooks who know how to bake fish are doing a great service to the people that are consuming the fish. While deep fried fish is certainly tasty, it loses potential health benefits through the process of frying. One of the healthiest ways to eat fish is to bake it without any type of breading. For people that love fish, very little seasoning is needed, especially if the fish is fresh. Brined fresh fish can retain the natural flavor of the fish without being overpowering. To bake fish with no breading, gather together the ingredients listed below.
- Two pounds halibut (or other type of whitefish)
- Two tablespoons melted butter
- One-half teaspoon savory
- One-half teaspoon tarragon
- One lemon
- Prepare butter. Mix butter, savory and tarragon in a shallow dish. Drizzle about half of the butter mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish. Not only will this prevent the fish from sticking to the pan, but it also lends some seasoning to the bottom of the fish.
- Bake fish. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the halibut in the casserole dish. Drizzle the remaining butter over the halibut. Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Prepare to serve the baked fish. Remove the baked fish from the oven. Slice the lemon in half. Drizzle lemon juice over the baked fish. Slice the remainder of the lemon into wedges. Serve fish with a lemon wedge on the side. This dish may also be served with a sprig of parsley as well as tartar sauce for those who enjoy tartar sauce on their baked fish.