How To Bake Sweet Potatoes For Thanksgiving
If you’re looking for an easy side dish for your holiday menu, it’s time to learn how to bake sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. These bright orange root vegetables are not only tasty, but they are also packed full of vitamins. The color comes from the bountiful beta carotene. Give them a try, and you’ll be glad that you baked sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving this year. You may even find that you’re baking them all year long because they are so easy and so good. When shopping for sweet potatoes, choose ones with firm, smooth skin and no bruises or soft spots. Store them in a cool, dry area. Do not store them in the refrigerator.
To bake sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, you will need:
- Sweet potatoes
- A heavy baking sheet or pan
- Aluminum foil
- An oven
- A fork
- A knife
- Preheat the oven. Set the oven dial at 350 degrees to prepare to cook the sweet potatoes.
- Prepare the pan. Line the pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the pan. Rub a little butter on them if you want a more moist skin, but this isn’t necessary.
- Put the pan in the oven. Place it on the center rack.
- Check for doneness. Depending on the size, sweet potatoes usually take between 45 and 60 minutes to cook. Pierce each potato with a fork. When the fork easily slips through each potato with very little resistance, they are done. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
- Finish the sweet potatoes for serving. Serve warm. Cut open and finish with butter, cinnamon and sugar.