Want to know how to become a CHL instructor? A "CHL" stands for concealed handgun license. These types of permits are typically regulated and issued from the Department of Public Safety and have strict requirements that follows:
- Legal resident or a valid non-resident license.
- 21 years of age or 18 years if in active duty or honorably discharged from the military.
- Never been convicted of a felony or have been convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor or disorderly conduct within the last 5 years.
- Not charged at the moment of applying with a class A or B misdemeanor.
- Qualify under state and federal laws to carry a firearm.
- Nondelinquent on any payments due to the state such as property taxes.
- No restrictions by a protective or restraining order involving a person.
- Not been the subject of prosecution for a felony grade juvenile delinquent conduct in the last 10 years.
You must enroll and pass a training course provided by the Department of Public Safety. These courses usually range about 40 hours to complete that cover methods of training and instruction. The steps include:
- Go online to the following address http://www.txchia.org/cr-80.pdf to obtain an application request as an instructor.
- Fill out and submit a request for application as an instructor and mail it to the address listed.
- Go online to the appropriate certification website and provide the following information: Social Security number, Driver's License or State ID, or if necessary a valid credit card.
- Wait for a background check to be completed.
- Fill out an application package provided by mail.
- The Department of Public Safety will send information for training classes as a new instructor.
- Each state may regulate the requirements and certifications process differently.
- Some states may not require a CHL to become an instructor.
- Do proper research with your local state gun laws before pursuing this field.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.