To know how to be a good center in football you have to understand a few techniques. Having good agility, leverage and quickness are all essential, as is a strong upper body. Combining these skills with a lot of practice will help you understand how to be a good center in football.
- Know the offense. Center is one of the only positions that must know what most other players on offense are doing on each play. To be a good center in football, you will be the captain of the offensive line and you will be expected to let your line mates know their assignments before the quarterback snaps the ball.
- Good reflexes. To be a good center in football you must be able to move very quickly, since you must snap the ball to the quarterback and then be fast enough to bring your hands up and make contact with the defender across from you. If you lack the lightning-quick speed to do this, your opponent will knock you off balance and ruin the play before it gets started.
- Proper posture. You need to keep your body low and back straight with your head…this will help you have better leverage over your important. In football it is said that “low man wins” so you need to know that taking on a defender is easier if you stay under his body with proper posture.
- Muscles. Taking on defenders requires muscles and strength. You will make contact with your opponent with a “punching” of your hands into his chest, to keep him off balance and move him where you want to go. To be a good center in football, you will understand that having good upper-body strength is important.
- Agility. From your position at center, you may have to pull down the line of scrimmage get down field to take on a linebacker. You may also have to hit the man across from you and then help out a teammate on a double team elsewhere. Being a good center in football requires you have good agility and light feet.
Schaeffer, Jeffrey. “Football the Basics: Strategies and Techniques.” Trafford Publishing,2006.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …