How to Be a Good Point Guard in Basketball
Knowing how to be a good point guard in basketball is about learning your roles on the court. If you play the point guard position, you should be aware of a number of considerations that will make you a good point guard and leader on the floor. Work on the following points to learn how to be a good point guard in basketball.
- Work on your perimeter defense. Defense is key in basketball. As a point guard, you will be defending almost all the time around the perimeter of the court. Work on staying with your man, having quick and active hands, and putting pressure on the ball. If you work on your defense you will be able to develop this important part of your game.
- Ball handling and passing are the most important offensive skills for point guards. When you think you have practiced your dribbling and passing skills, practice them more. The best point guards are the ones who can handle pressure with their ball handling and make smart passes.
- Work on shot selection appropriate to your strengths. Whether or not you are a pure shooter or a mediocre shooter, you must have the ability to hit the open jumper. Make sure you take time to develop consistency from at least the midrange area.
- You are the leader of the team. As the leader, you must be able to run the offense and set an example on defense.
- Don't forget about conditioning. Quickness, speed, stamina, and strength are all important for point guards. Work on these areas and make sure you practice your basketball skills when you're tired as well as when you're full of energy to develop consistency.