How To Be Happy Single
Learning how to be happy single lies a lot in being happy with yourself and your identity. A lot of people want to change their lives but don’t know how to be a better person. Deciding to become a better person doesn’t just benefit the person making the change, it benefits everyone in their lives. Making such an important decision is a process and there are a few things that can help the process along.
- Figure out why you want to be better. Knowing what it is that you want to change will help you figure out how to do it. Is your focus being nicer? Do you want to be more positive? Are you trying to be a better humanitarian? Once you know what it is about yourself that you want to change you will be on the road to being a better person. Try compiling a list of the things about yourself you do not like, and then writing the exact opposite next to it. So if one of your flaws is “I am too selfish” counter it with “I am giving and go out of my way to put others first”.
- Find out what others think about you. We are taught at a young age that other people’s opinions don’t matter. However, when you need to do some life changes, it can be beneficial to find out what others think of you. Only ask people you are close to, you can count on close family and friends that know you well, to give you honest input. Avoid associates and do not ask people just because they are “brutally honest” they may cause more damage than good.
- Check out the people you consider friends. Take a deeper look at the people that you are close to and hang out with frequently. You may notice that you are more like them than you think. If the people you hang around do not exemplify the type of behavior that you want to emulate as a “better person” then you may want to reconsider your level of friendship. That does not mean abandon them as friends, but it does mean you may want to make friends with people who are the type of person you want to become.
- Don’t expect an overnight change. Old habits die hard, so when you decide to become a better person you need to take it slowly. One step at a time. If you try to change all at once the changes probably won’t last. Work towards your goal slowly.
- Eliminate stress from your life. Stress can put people on edge, and when people are on edge their behavior might be less than attractive. Get rid of anything in your life that causes stress and you will begin to see your tolerance level may rise, you may be more open to people and you will probably have more time on your hands that you can devote to others. If the stress in your life aren’t the type that can be eliminated on a whim like family, work and marriage then incorporate 1-2 hours of personal time per day; use this time to meditate, read, go fishing or anything else that relaxes you.