How To Be A Server At A Fine Dining Banquet
Once you figure out how to be a server a fine dining banquet, a path to a successful career in the food industry will be cleared for you. Getting a job as a server is a great way to get your foot in the door of the food industry. Working as a banquet server is also a great way to earn extra money while you attend school or work a full time job.
- Become familiar with the catering companies in your area. Most banquets are catered by independent companies. Do as much research as you can to find out the history of the companies, how much they pay their servers and what it is like to work for them.
- Gain customer service or server experience before applying. While you may be able to be a server at a fine dining banquet without any prior experience, odds are likely that catering companies want to hire an experienced server. Chain restaurants are usually willing to hire inexperienced servers. Learn the ropes there and then advance to a catering company.
- Know your responsibilities as a server. A server at a fine dining banquet must perform a number of tasks on the job. They need to circulate the room, offering guests hors d'oeuvres, refilling water glasses and delivering appetizer and entree plates to the table. Servers must also make sure there is enough silverware and glassware on the tables and replenish any dirty silverware or dishes.
- Invest in a tuxedo. Many catering companies and server staffing agencies require that you own your own tuxedo.
- Send in an application and resume. If you write a cover letter, be sure to highlight any experience you have in the food or customer service industry. Explain exactly why you want to be a server at a fine dining banquet and why you are a perfect candidate for the job.
- Follow up on your application after a few days have passed if you do not hear back from the company. Remember to always be polite and friendly to anyone you speak to at the company.