How To Be Stylish
If you want to learn how to be stylish, well, I'm not going to tell you, not specifically at least. Stylish men know what looks good on them and they don't succumb to the whims of those around them. Fashion is trendy, while style is timeless. On one level it is a matter of wearing what you like regardless of what people think, even going a step further and making a certain look so much a part of who you are that people are convinced that it is cool. However, this attitude, without any guidelines or innate sense, can be disastrous. So, I offer you the following general guidelines on how to be stylish:
- Weed out the unwanteds. Clean out your closet, and be ruthless. Worn-out, stained shirts can go. Wrinkly ties in overall bad shape must follow, as well as anything that doesn't fit well or look fantastic on you. Invite someone stylish to help if you are completely clueless.
- Take the time to groom, straight and simple. Whatever hair style you choose, whether it's a Mohawk or a military cut, keep it trimmed and maintained. Keep your fingernails clean and presentable. Shower and shave, you know the drill.
- Buy multiples. When something works for you, whether that's a great pair of jeans, or the perfect cut T-shirt, buying in multiples is a smart choice. You may think that particular brand and style will always be for sale, but it is better to play it safe with certain basic items. Do not take this to the extreme or you will wind up with a closet akin to Bert and Ernie, who are clearly not style icons.
- Be consistent with your scent. Choosing a cologne is a stylish tip even though it doesn't cause a visual effect. Pick a scent that you love and stick with it. The nose knows, especially the woman's nose.
- Purchase quality where it counts. Suits that are poorly made do not shout stylish. While style is not about the cost of an item, when it comes to suits and outerwear, the cost will prove to be worth it since they will most likely last longer and fit better overall.
- Surprise people with a trendy item. Even when you are completely sure of your look and have the basics covered, a stylish man is not afraid to add something unexpected to his wardrobe. This item could be a trendy fashion piece or something unusual from the local thrift store.
- Walk like you own it (the look that is). Hopefully you own your own clothes as well, but the idea here is to hold yourself with confidence. Style is all about knowing who you are and presenting the best possible version of yourself to the world.
- Get to know the right people. Find a dry cleaner and tailor in close proximity to your home or place of business and take advantage of these services. Have your button-down dress shirts fitted, even slightly, makes them much more stylish. Especially if you have broad shoulders, fitting your shirts make a huge difference in how stylish you look. Dry cleaners can remove those pesky stains and maintain your outerwear better than a laundromat.
- Get a stylist. Be a copy cat. Look for a celebrity that exudes the style that you want and copy the best you can. These people pay big money for people to tell them how to dress, and you can use their personal stylist for free by simply watching what they wear. Follow this tip lightly, meaning you don't need to be an exact copy of your favorite star to be stylish, nor do you need to buy the same $800 T-shirt, just go for his overall look. Better yet, combine a few of your favorites to create a look all your own.