There are several ways that you can learn how to be a yacht broker. In some states, you may need a license to sell a yacht, so check with your state’s Department of Revenue to find out if you need a license. As a yacht broker, you will be selling yachts to clients, and–after you close the deal–you will receive a commission from the sale of the yacht. The amount of money that you make as a yacht broker is determined by your ability to sell yachts. Simply put, you will be a boat salesman.
Things you'll need:
- List of marina businesses in your area.
- List of yacht manufacturers.
- List of yachts for sale in your area.
- Permits or Licenses for a yacht business
- Learn how to operate a yacht to help you become a yacht broker because clients may want you to give them a test ride or they may want to test ride the yacht you are trying to sell. Take a yacht boating class and learn as much as you can about the various types of yachts such as the sailboat yacht and the powerboat yacht. Make sure you acquire all the skills that are need to operate a yacht safely also because this shows potential clients that you are knowledgeble about yachts and you know how to operate them, and this will increase your chances of closing a sale.
- Educate yourself about the local, state, and federal laws as you learn how to become a yacht broker. Find out what are all the local licensing requirements by visiting your local city hall and ask the office clerk how to apply for a permit to operate as a yacht broker. Follow all the instructions that the clerk gives you. Prepare yourself to apply for your state and federal licenses in most states to help you become a yacht broker and you can do this by contacting your secretary of state office and by contacting the Internal Revenue Service.
- Visit or call marinas in your area to help you become a yacht broker. Let the marinas management staff know that you are a new yacht broker in the area and you will like to leave your business card and contact information with him. Keep in mind that the more contacts that you can get information from the better your chances are for becoming successful yacht broker. Try to join a respected yacht brokerage company or yacht organization to help you increase your sales. Attend yacht boating shows and visit the marinas and talk to boat owners about selling and buying yachts.
- Find a list of yacht manufacturers to help you become a yacht broker. Call Polson Enterprises at (800) 443-6543 and ask for a directory of yacht manufacturers or how to get one so that you can find out what new and exciting yachts are being made by manufacturers. Make a request for each manufacturers catalog once you receive the directory by calling the manufacturer's and asking them to mail you a catalog and let the manufacturers know that you are a yacht broker. Find out what are the qualifications for selling their yachts and do what it takes to get qualified to sell their yachts and you will make money.
Reference: Yacht Brokers Association of America