How To Become A Better Skier
If you love winter sports and ski resorts, you're likely looking for how to become a better skier. To become a better skier is pretty simple. By following these steps, you can from skiing amateur to ruling the slopes on your next winter getaway.
- Master the basics of skiing: turns, stops and jumps. Although these are the basics, many skiers try to be more adventurous and jump ahead to becoming more advanced, without building upon these most basic of skills. By taking the time to learn these basics well first, you'll save yourself a lot of backtracking later on as you enhance your skills and progress to become a better skier.
- Work out at least three times per week. The more in shape you are off the slopes, the more power you will have when you get on skis. Someone who is physically fit already has a great advantage when it comes to skiing.
- Practice makes perfect. Try to work on your skiing as often as possible, not just on the occasional winter holiday. If you can schedule practice lessons, classes and weekends devoted to practice, you can rest assured that you will become a better skier. Even those who aren't naturally skilled and talented on skis can make great strides to honing their skiing skills if they simply devote a lot of practice time to it.
- Learn as much as you possibly can about safety precautions when you are on skis. Remember that safety comes first. Becoming a safer skier will make you a better skier. There are many famous ski accidents, such as those of Michael Kennedy, Natasha Richardson and the near-tragedy of Tony Danza. There are lots of other ski accidents as well that occur to the non-famous. Safety is one of the most important things to keep in your mind every time you ski. Take a safety class to know how to handle yourself well--and to know what to do in case of an emergency.
- Practice skiing in different conditions to learn how to adapt and become a better skier. That's an important skill to learn. Many skiers can only ski in one learned environment, but there will be many presented to you over the course of your life as a skier. Go to different locales with varying environments to perfect your reaction and skiing skills in all different kinds of conditions.
Posted on: May. 03, 2010