Here are the required steps if you’re wondering how to become a doctor. It will take years of hard work before you can reach your career goals. You will go through many sleepless nights and may question whether or not you’ve made the right decision. If you can make it through, you will have a very rewarding profession. Medicine is a great career, as long as you’re willing to put forth the effort. Read the following list to get more information about how to become a doctor.
- Attend College – When figuring out how to become a doctor, you will discover that you need a bachelor’s degree. This is a prerequisite for medical school. You can major in anything you want, as long as you take the core classes. They include biology, physics, chemistry and organic chemistry. Along with that, you will also need to take English and math. Make sure to keep your GPA high because medical school is extremely competitive.
- Take the MCAT – The MCAT is an entrance exam that is required to get into medical school. It will test your basic knowledge in science and math. You should take it during your junior or senior year of college because you need your scores to begin the medical school application process. Make sure to score well because it’s a great way to boost your application. Along with that, you will also need letters of reference.
- Go to Medical School – This is one of the most important steps to become a doctor. You will spend your first two years of medical school in the classroom. You will take classes such as anatomy, biochemistry, pharmacology, microbiology, physiology and medical ethics. During your last two years, you will be participating in hands-on learning. You will go through different rotations to work with patients under the supervision of licensed medical providers.
- Complete a Residency – Once you graduate from medical school, you must start a residency. This is another essential part of learning how to become a doctor. Residency is on the job training and can last anywhere from three to eight years. You will be paid for your time in residency, but not as much as you will make once your residency is finished. Not only that, but you will be working extremely long hours.
- Start a Fellowship – Another step that you may have to complete is a fellowship. This will be an important thing to take note of when you’re figuring out how to become a doctor. Not all physicians are required to complete one because it depends on the specialty. For instance, you will need to participate in one if you’re going to become a surgeon. However, you won’t need to if you’re going to work as a general practitioner.
Medical school is extremely competitive, so start the application process early.
Figure out which schools you want to apply to so you can be familiar with their deadlines. Most deadlines fall between October and December.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …