How To Become A Freelance Writer
Are you an English or Journalism major who is wondering how to become a freelance writer? Freelance writers are generally self-employed and most can work from home. They submit articles to magazine publishers, newspapers and other organizations for a profit. They may even be contracted to work on specific assignments when needed. Many freelance writers may submit books to be published by book publishing companies. There are many steps a writer can take to start freelancing:
- Take writing classes or workshops that teach different writing styles, such as AP style that is required for many freelance writers. You may even pursue a college degree in a field, such as, English or Journalism. Keep a portfolio of any class writing projects for reference.
- Work as an intern for organizations, such as your college newspaper. Include this information on your resume as experience to attract potential employers.
- Prepare a writing sample to submit to a potential employer that is hiring freelancers, as many of them will request this. Be sure that your resume and writing samples are free of grammatical errors. You wouldn’t want to be denied employment because your resume is lacking quality writing.
- If you are interested in writing for magazines, purchase a resource like “Writer’s Market.” This book provides a list of agencies like book publishing companies that are currently accepting projects from freelance writers. Prepare a query letter and submit articles of interest to the company of your choice.
- Research freelance writing job sites. These type of sites offer freelance writes the ability to write articles with the expectation of having them published. This will give you the opportunity to allow editors to critiques your writing and perfect your skills. This will also give provide you with experience to put on your resume.
Write a good resume objective that indicates to an employer that are seeking freelance opportunities.