Learn about how to become a greeting card writer. It is perhaps easier than you think. There is no formal education necessary, you don’t have to be a graphic artist, or have a degree in English, your creativity will open the industry's door for you. Think about it, some greeting cards don’t even have words, just pictures! You can literally let your imagination run wild during the creative process of coming up with your cards. If you are seriously considering becoming a greeting card writer, you will be pleased to know that there is generally little competition in the greeting card arena.
Many people think that the e-card has replaced the traditional paper card-not so. Becoming a greeting card writer would place you in a recession proof industry, while people are spending less on gifts-they are still purchasing cards. Whether you make greeting card writing your side job, or you have decided to make it your 9-5, there are 10 tips you will need to know to get started.
- Put together a portfolio. Don’t shake your head yet- your portfolio will be your concepts on paper. Unless you are an artist, perfection isn’t the focus. If you are pursuing the writing aspect only- editors want to see your “thoughts” on paper-they have an art department to take it from there.
- Keep in mind what you look for when perusing the greeting card display at the store. You don’t pick up each and every card; you look for the ones that jump out at you, so do the companies that will buy your cards from you. The professionals know that each card has a mere 1.5 seconds to catch the consumers eye before they move on to the next one.
- You may be hard pressed to find others in the industry, but seek them out, and when you find them, glean as much information as you can. Attend industry Trade Shows, you are sure to find colleagues there. Attend the annual Greeting Card Association convention.
- Don’t get caught up in the copyright syndrome out the door. Only if you are doing a collection would you want to go through the expense of copyright.
- At some point, you will want to have a web site to display your greeting cards, now is the time to work with an artist , while learning how to use graphic tools yourself. Adobe Photoshop will make you look like a professional, even if you aren’t. If you are serious about pursuing greeting card writing, you should be honing your skills, don’t be dependent on an artist or cartoonist.
- Go to Adobe Photoshop and other Internet sites that allow you to download free trial software. Utilize the software during the free trial period.
- Consider all the possible steams of income associated with greeting card writing. You can produce samples and have sales people market them for you. You can produce a line of cards and go to retailers and sell directly to them, eliminating the middle man. You can sell your ideas or concepts to the big greeting card houses and by-pass all the manufacturing and selling. The possibilities are endless.
- There are over 3,000 greeting card publisher out there, at some point you may decide to start a small greeting card publishing company and print your own cards, as well as, cards for other greeting card writers.
- You should have a computer; a laptop would be most practical because it’s portable. Create slideshows of your line to present to clients, as opposed to showing them paper samples.
Think outside the greeting card box. It would be great to have your niche in mind when you develop your line, but if you don’t have one, remember the most popular cards are year-round cards. Start with Birthday Cards, everyone has one!
Source: Greeting Card Association
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!