If you want to know how to become a Rasta, you must be identifying with the Rastafarians. Rastafari is a political, cultural, and religious movement that began in Jamaica. Internationally, Rastafari gained a lot of popularity with Bob Marley and reggae music. Today, likely over a million people practice Rastafari. If you want to embrace Rasta, you need to do these things:
- Grow your hair in long, natural, matted dreadlocks. Do not straighten your hair. Do not shave. Wear a lot of red, gold, black, and green, which are the colors on the Rasta flag, and are associated with the Rasta movement.
- Listen to reggae music. Listen to Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and others. Listen and learn from the lyrics, which tell you a lot about being a Rasta.
- Hail Ras Tafari, (Haile Selassie I,) the 1930’s emperor of Ethiopia, as a Christ like figure. Call God “Jah," and accept Marcus Garvey as having been a prophet.
- Become culturally African, especially Ethiopian. Reject all Western political and economic control and cultural influences. Call Western influence and society, “Babylon.”
- Promote peace and economic justice. Eat natural foods. Don’t pollute, and take care of the earth.
- Learn to speak Lyaric, a specialized vocabulary for Rastas. Use the pronoun “I and I” instead of me. Do not refer to the Rastafari movement as “Rastafarianism.” Reject “isms and schisms.”
- Smoke marijuana as a spiritual practice, only.
- Consider moving to Jamaica for awhile. There, you can find other Rastas and live in a communal Rastafari community based in a West African village.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.