How To Become A Sea Kayaker
So, you are ready to learn how to become a sea kayaker? A sea kayaker has to be in excellent physical health because this type of activity requires you to be able to paddle and guide the kayak in adverse weather conditions and against strong currents. You can become a sea kayaker if you can get the right training and equipment.
Things you’ll need:
- Two-way Communication Radio / Cell Phone
- Dry Suit / Paddle Float
- Signal Mirror / Distress Flares
- First Aid Kit with Whistle
- Contact an experienced sea kayak instructor in your area to help you become a sea kayaker. Interview the instructor and ask him how to become a proficient sea kayaker. Use this information to help you get started. Read books and publications about sea kayaking and subscribe to a kayak magazine or newsletter to get additional information about this boating activity.
- Keep safety in mind as you learn how to become a sea kayaker. Prepare to take a training course with a professional sea kayaker. Buy all your kayak supplies and equipment and pay for the training course. Learn the basic rescue skills while in training with the sea kayak instructor and follow all the instructions and tips that you learned while taking off in the kayak and padding the kayak.
- Go kayaking with experienced sea kayakers to help you become a sea kayaker. Develop the skills that are needed to steer and maneuver the kayak safely by copying and asking the experienced sea kayakers questions. Work with experienced sea kayakers to help you gain the experience you need to determine what are favorable weather conditions and the best directions to take as you prepare for sea kayaking trips.
- Make sure that you are very confident and have mastered the skills that are required to help you become a sea kayaker. Complete all the required training with your instructor and pass the course. Continue to use training resources to help you become a better sea kayaker. Register your kayak with the local or state authorities where you will be kayaking and keep a packing list of all your supplies and equipment before you take a trip. Inform family and friends of your destination and try to sea kayak with friends.