Ever watched a crazy fight scene in a Hollywood action movie and wondered how to become a stuntman? The first thing you need to know is that you must be in excellent physical shape, because a stuntman's job can be quite brutal. Safety is an important concern for stuntmen but things can and do happen and bruises and broken limbs are part of the job.
- Take martial arts and gymnastics classes. Most fight scenes usually involve some form (or combination) of martial arts and gymnastics.
- Take a stage combat class. This will teach you the basics of faking a punch.
- Consider what area you want to specialize in. Stunt coordinators will hire according to the needs of the production. If they need a stunt driver they will hire a stunt driver. If they need someone to fall, they will hire to a fall guy.
- Train with a stunt fighting school. While this is not absolutely necessary to get into the biz and there are no official stunt certifications in the U.S., a stunt school will provide you with necessary contacts for networking and introduce you to a broad range of stunt skills.
- Get work as an extra. Working as an extra is the perfect way to learn about working on film sets, as well as a way to network.
- Put together a stunt reel. A Stunt reel is a three to five minute demo reel showing some of your best stunts.
Tip: Network, network, network. Whether at parties or on set, talk to people. If they are stunt men, particularly if they are stunt coordinators, let them know that you are a stuntman. Show them your reel.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…