How To Become A Tattoo Artist
Learning how to become a tattoo artist is a dream for many. Though the lifestyle and income seem great, the job requires a lot of patience and determination. Follow these steps to become a successful tattoo artist.
- Excellent art skills
- Tattooing book
- Time and patience
- Tattoo kit
- Practice your art skills. You have to be great at it or you’ll never make it as a tattoo artist. Art classes can help, but you need natural talent.
- Develop a portfolio of your art. This will be useful in the future and can help you find an apprenticeship.
- Visit tattoo shops to look for an apprenticeship and ask someone you respect. If you have a friend who is a tattoo artist, they may be willing to help with no charge. Otherwise, you may need to pay for your apprenticeship. You won’t get paid while you learn so you may need to work in the meantime.
- Learn proper techniques such as sanitation, operating your machine, and how to give a great tattoo. You may want to be tattooed by your teacher to understand exactly what you’re learning.
- Keep an open mind. You will continue to grow and learn new things over time. Tattoo artists are always developing tips and tricks to make things easier.
Remember this will not be an overnight process. It can take years before you’re ready to go off on your own. Continue to read books, learn new techniques, and work on your art. Tattoo artists can never be too good at their craft.