How To Become Vegan
Learn how to become vegan by following some of these common sense guidelines. Becoming a vegan is more than just deciding to try a change in diet on a whim. It requires some thought and planning on your part. Good reasons to become a vegan include being able to cut the fat in your diet with meat substitutes. You get more minerals and vitamins from food because you eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. If you have health issues, check with your doctor before making a change. Follow the guidelines below to become a vegan.
- Research the topic thoroughly. Do the research. Read articles from print and websites about vegan diets and recipes. Do your research and choose some vegan recipes that you want to try. They should be easy to make with ingredients available at the local supermarket.
- Try one new recipe weekly. Start slow; try one new recipe a week to begin. Make a list of ingredients, then visit the local supermarket to buy the ingredients for the recipe.
- Use a notebook to record ideas and impressions. Buy a notebook and record your impressions of the vegan recipes you tried. What did you like and what did you not like about the recipes? Could you change any ingredients in the recipe to make it better?
- Try a meat substitute. Use one of the many meat substitutes that have substitutes for all categories of meat from breakfast sausages to burgers. Many of these products are made from soy or vegetable proteins.
- Stock up on staple items. Choose items for the panty like pasta, rice, whole grain breads and beans. Nuts, spreads, fresh fruits and vegetables are other items to have plenty of in your home.
- Try different ethnic cuisines. Every type of cuisine-Italian, Thai, Indian and Chinese-have healthy vegan dishes. Try some different recipes with varied ingredients and spices to liven up the menu. Many are side dishes or main entrees.
- Revise a recipe you like. Take your favorite recipe and try to change it to a vegan version. If it is chili, use protein substitute or make it with just beans and vegetables for example. For sausage and peppers, use a vegan sausage and peppers with sauce to revise it. Eat fresh fruit for a gourmet dessert with a splash of wine or lemon juice.
- Shop for vegan food. Shop at the supermarket carefully for vegan items. There are many frozen vegan entrees: pizza, stuffed sandwiches, beans and rice, soups and dessert items. Read labels and know what you are getting. There are many soy based products for meat, desserts and frozen ice cream, so try some of them. Many are tasty and very convenient to prepare. Ask someone in the supermarket where the vegetarian items are located.
- Try vegan restaurants in your area. Most areas have vegan restaurants so eat at them. Order what you like to eat. Some fast food restaurants sell vegan burgers and have salad bars and soups that meet your menu requirements. Many serve soups, salads, stews, main entrees and varied vegetarian ethnic cuisine. Decide what you like to eat and try some new items. Desserts are often delicious and you can just order that in some restaurants.
- Try variety with new kinds of fruits and vegetables. Exotic fruits and more varieties of vegetables are available now in local supermarkets than ever before. Try a new variety of apples. There are many to choose from. Blood oranges are tasty, as well as kiwi fruits. Try Chinese cabbage or swiss chard for a change. Add as much variety as you can to your fruits and vegetables.