Do you love animals and want to know how to become a vet assistant in San Bernardino? There are several ways to go about becoming a vet assistant in San Bernardino. Determining how to go about landing a job as a vet assistant can seem daunting at first. The best way is to combine experience with education. The right resources and training are key in landing this job, as well as a compassionate attitude towards people and their pets.
In order to become a vet assistant in San Bernardino you should consider:
- Working at an animal shelter or working with a large rescue group. This way you can gain valuable experience while doing good for your community. Most rescues and shelters work closely with veterinarians and would be willing to give you an excellent recommendation if you volunteer for them. As with most industries, knowing people is key to landing a job as a vet assistant. As a volunteer you will gain experience working with injured pets, restraining aggressive or even feral pets, and participating in medical treatments. You should highly consider putting in time with a well known and respected rescue organization in order to get your foot in the door.
- If time is of the essence, you might consider spending the money to become certified as a vet assistant. Even signing up for a program can be a big boost for your resume. Penn Foster offers a program that can be completed in four semesters. However, programs like these can get pricey. Each semester costs about $1400. They do offer payment plans that can be paid over the course of the semester. If you are serious about a career in veterinary medicine, you should highly consider signing up for this program. The program is accredited by the American Veterinary Medicine Association and will ensure you earn top dollar. You could even become a Practice Manager in the future and earn great money. Most veterinary hospitals in California gross over one million dollars and that is just for a small practice.
- If you really want to succeed at becoming a vet assistant, you should volunteer and enroll in a program. Licensing is not required in California, but it does look great on a resume. The problem with only enrolling in a program is that you don’t gain the hands on experience you really need. That is where volunteering comes in. The experience you will gain goes a long way on a resume.
- Licensing is not a state requirement, so feel free to just apply. However, if you don’t have either experience or education, you will probably be passed up for a more qualified applicant. It is possible to get a vet assistant job without experience though, so if you get offered an interview, make sure your good qualities really shine.
Skills Needed to Be a Successful Vet Assistant:
- The ability to think fast. Often you will be calculating doses for medication while a licensed vet checks over the numbers. Errors can lead to fatal mistakes.
- The ability to thrive under pressure. Animals will come in with horrible injuries and you need to be able to work under the pressure and keep your cool. Or you might have busy days where patient after patient comes in and your head starts to spin. Even so, you must maintain a level head and get your work done.
- The ability to document everything. Every shot, every lump, every bump, every walk, whatever the case is, it needs to be recorded in the patient chart.
- The ability to work with difficult people. Veterinarians can be arrogant, co-workers in this industry are the worst, and clients can be complete idiots when it comes to their pets. You will need to be able to get along and level with all of these types of people in order to be successful.
- The ability to wear many hats. A vet assistant is a lab tech, surgery assistant, nurse, housekeeper, and the list goes on. Veterinary medicine is not divided like human medicine is. Every aspect of human medicine will be your job.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Meet Madeline Brewer, Netflix Princess
The Orange is the New Black and Hemlock Grove beauty discusses fitness and dating.
The 5 Types of Beer You Should Know
Get familiar with these basics, and you'll be ready to rule the craft-beer universe.