One of the first thing you should learn if you want to get into the octagon is how to block punches with MMA gloves. If you are unable to sufficiently defend in mixed martial arts then you might find yourself knocked out and wondering what happened once you wake up. Blocking punches with MMA gloves is similar to blocking punches for boxing or any other stand up art. To practice you will need:
- MMA Gloves
- A Partner wearing boxing or MMA gloves
- The first step in learning how to block punches with MMA gloves is studying the different types of blocks. These include inside blocks, outside blocks, and parries. To inside block you will use the inside of your forearm to deflect the punch away from you. For an outside block you will use the outside of your forearm to deflect the punch away from you and across your opponent. The final block is a parry. To parry a punch or kick you push it to either the left or right deflecting the technique. This block is usually used in conjunction with a counter strike.
- Next you need to practice each block slowly with your partner. Start with one block and work at it on both sides until you can do it quickly. Then go on to the next block and practice it.
- Once you feel confident that you can block a punch that is thrown slowly have your partner increase the speed of his punches. Continue to focus on each block individually.
- The final step is to go live and have your partner throw various punches so you much decide what block to use. Continue working this way and make sure to incorporate counter punching into your practice.
If you want to get strong and lean like Jon Bones Jones here, you need to work out like a fighter. Our fitness expert, w ...
Nick Newell—winner of our Cage Potato bros' Proving Ground competition—is an undefeated lightweight MMA fighter. He has ...
Ah, the underdog, whose fabled Hollywood tales of triumph against all odds nearly inspires us to get off our couches and ...