How To Boost Wi-Fi Signal
Wi-Fi is a great convience, but if you want to take full advantage of the mobility and freedom that Wi-Fi has to offer you must learn how to boost your Wi-Fi signal. There are several quick ways to increase the signal of your Wi-Fi; some are free, but some require a small investment. If you are a heavy internet user, the small cost will more than make up for itself with faster downloads, and quick page loads.
- Move your Wi-Fi unit to increase its performance. Make sure that your Wi-Fi unit is away from walls, off the floor, and clear of all metal objects. Placing your Wi-Fi unit in a central location, free of these inferences, will increase its reliability.
- Change the channel. You can change the channel on your Wi-Fi unit, and you should. This is especially important in an office, or in an apartment building where many Wi-Fi units may be operating on the same channel. Choose a channel that is not used by other devices to increase your internet speed.
- Clear the competing interference. If you have many wireless devices, such as a cordless phone, try to avoid wireless electronics that use the 2.4GHz frequency. This is the frequency that Wi-Fi uses. Instead, look for a wireless phone that uses 5.8Ghz.
- Keep up-to-date. If you have not recently download updates for your Wi-Fi router or new drivers for your unit, do it. These firmware upgrades can increase the speed of your connection, and help you to avoid any issues with compatibility.
- Replace your router's antenna. Routers usually come equipped with a omni-directional antennae, so a lot of the signal is not being directed to your computer, and is wasted. Invest in an uni-directional antennae if you want to increase your signal's strength.
- Consider purchasing a wireless repeater. This piece of equipment will boost your Wi-Fi signal, and make your connection speed increase.
- If all else fails, purchase a new Wi-Fi. If you are still using a 802.11B router, you might want to think about getting the newer 802.11G model. These newer models have increased signal strength, and may just be what you need.