How To Break Up With My Girlfriend
If you’re wondering how to break up with your girlfriend, it’s not an easy task, but there are a few things you can do to take the edge off. This is one of the more difficult conversations you’ll have and you want to minimize the damage so that she’s not too upset—assuming she hasn’t been awful to you. Following a few simple steps will hopefully help you both leave with dignity and kind feelings.
- Break up in a semi-private place. This is a very private and difficult conversation and when you break up with your girlfriend, you should do in someplace where you can speak in private. However, there is always the chance of a major breakdown on her part, so you can temper this by being in a semi-private place. If you are in your house, she may totally freak out and start breaking stuff. If you’re someplace where someone might hear or see her, it will force her to be a bit reserved.
- Do it in person. Modern technology has made communication easy. However, you should have the respect for her to break up with her in person, meaning not over text or Facebook. You’ve spent a number of important days and moments together, ending things without the dignity of a face-to-face conversation is classless.
- Give her valid reasons. If you are going to break up with your girlfriend, she is going to want to hear why you are bringing about this major change in your lives. You owe it to her to back up your decision with sound logic and good reasons. Be honest, if possible, and if any reasons will help her be a better partner to someone else in the future, let her know.
- Stand firm. There is a good chance when you break up with your girlfriend that she is going to do whatever she can to salvage the relationship. She’ll promise to change and list reasons why you should stay together. Assuming you’ve arrived at this decision with sound logic, you need to stand firm and not resist the emotional response of giving in and ending the pain. Even if she offers sex!
- Make a clean break. After you break up with your girlfriend, there might be temptation to get back together. You might miss her and the things you did together and you may definitely miss the intimate moments. But once it’s done, let it be done and don’t revisit the relationship. Eventually you’ll just have to break up with her again, most likely.