At one time or another, gas grills will run out of gas in the middle of grilling a steak making it important to know how to broil a steak. To properly broil a steak, it should be placed on a preheated cast iron skillet in the oven to sear the steak to perfection. A steak broiled to excellence is tender, juicy, and heavily seared on both sides.
To broil a steak, you will need:
- Cast iron skillet or griddle
- Beef steak
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper (optional)
- Prepare the steak. Remove the steak from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Pat excess moisture from the steak with a folded paper towel. Rub the steak with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Prepare the oven. Move the oven rack six inches from the flame or heating element. Place the skillet in the oven and preheat the oven on the broiler setting for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Broil the steak. Slide the oven rack out far enough to expose the preheated skillet. Place the prepared steak in the skillet. Sear the steak for three minutes. Use tongs to turn the broiling steak and sear the second side for three minutes. Reduce the heat to 500 degrees F.
- Continue broiling the steak for one to five minutes for rare, two to seven minutes for medium, and five to nine minutes for medium well, depending on the thickness of the steak. Turn the steak one additional time midway through broiling. Remove the steak from the oven and let stand five full minutes before serving.
Customize your broiled steak with the seasoning of your choice like garlic, herbs, or sauces.
Always let a broiled steak stand for five minutes before cutting into it to keep all the juices from running out and drying the meat.
Use extreme caution when removing the hot cast iron skillet to avoid serious burns.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.