Learning how to build a backyard patio can take some time and some effort, but it is certainly worth all of that in the long run. Following are some materials and steps for making a backyard patio.
- Brick saw
- Jointer (brick joint maker)
- Wood for a wooden frame
- First, find exactly where you want the patio to be, and how large it should be. Then, dig down into the ground enough to make the whole space that will be used an even level. This can mean digging down a few inches, or digging a lot in some, hilly areas, as the ground must be flat before the patio is to be constructed.
- Then, come up with the exact dimensions of the patio. With pieces of wood, such as two-by-fours, build a frame, in which the brick will be laid.
- Select a nice type of solid (hole-less) brick, and a nice, complementary type of mortar. Then, build the actual patio.
- Dish out a nice amount of mortar, which may be mixed in a wheel barrow or a mixer, and lay bricks over top of the mortar. Use the level to make sure the bricks are even, and always fill joints (areas between bricks, which should be about half of an inch in width) with mortar. When the mortar is mostly dry, use the jointer to make the laid bricks look pretty. Fill the entire space with evenly-laid and jointed bricks.
Once you get to the outsides of the frame, half bricks may be necessary. Although a brick hammer can break them into two pieces, bricks are better cut with brick saws, which may be rented from many home improvement and hardware stores.
Once the space is filled, you are done. Enjoy the patio!
Although the steps above sound easy, anyone building a patio will find that it takes some time to get the hang of using a trowel to apply mortar, and to understand how to best lay bricks. But when all of this is understood, you can construct a nice backyard patio.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…