If you want to keep livestock from wandering off, or other things from wandering in, then you are going to have to learn how to build a barbed wire fence. While there are other kinds of fences (electrical, wood and non-barbed wire), they can be expensive and, in many cases, are not any more effective when compared to barbed wire fences.
To build a barbed wire fence, you will need:
- A tape measure
- Posts (wooden or metal)
- Barbed wire
- A fencing tool (it is possible to use a pair of wire cutters and a pair of pliers instead of a fencing tool)
- A T-post driver
- Cement (optional)
- A wheel barrow (optional)
- Fencing clips or staples
- Insulators (optional)
- A post hole digger
- Measure the area to be fenced. When making a barbed wire fence it is a good idea to run three strands of wire. Purchase enough wire to go around the area you want fenced three times (twice if you are only putting up a two-strand fence).
- Purchase enough posts to have one post every ten to twelve feet. Keep in mind that the posts will need to be sunk in the ground at least two feet (one quarter of the total length of the pole is best to provide maximum stability for the post).
- Put up the fence posts. Wearing gloves will help keep the barbed wire from cutting up your hands. For wooden posts, dig the holes as deep as approximately one quarter the height of the post. Fill the hole three-quarters full with posting cement. Place the post in the hole. Allow excess cement to set up around the post and let the cement dry for 24 hours before attaching the wire. For metal T-posts, use a T-post driver to pound T-posts into the ground at least two feet at ten to twelve foot intervals.
- Attach the barbed wire to the posts. For wooden posts, metal staples or insulators are used to attach barbed wire to the posts. For metal T-posts, metal fencing clips or insulators are used to attach the barbed wire. Keep the wire stretched tight while attaching it to the posts so that it does not sag. Loose fencing will be easier for livestock to get through.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Online Gaming
Get into FPSs and MOBAs without getting your ass kicked… too much.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.