Learning how to build a bedroom wall unit can be the perfect solution to any storage problems. A bedroom is supposed to be a relaxing and romantic area inside of your home. If you have to constantly worry about clutter and misplaced belongings, it can be more of a problem area than it needs to be. Creating the perfect wall unit will allow you to enjoy the space, rather than have to worry about it.
To build a bedroom wall unit, you will need:
- Wood Screws
- Stud Finder (if connecting unit to wall)
- Shelving of different lengths
- Graphing Paper
- Measuring tape
- Chalk line
- Wood Glue
- The first step in building a bedroom wall unit is to measure the height and width of the wall you have designated for the unit. Finding out the exact area you have to work with is the key to making the most of your space.
- Next, draw a rough sketch of the unit you want. Graphing paper permits you to draw the complete unit at a ¼” scale, which allows you to see the unit in planning. Start by drawing the wall to scale, and continue to add shelving to the space. This will allow you to space out the shelves adequately and equally. Each section of the wall unit should only be as high as your longest shelf.
- Once you have determined the size of the unit, it is now time to begin construction. If you have not purchased stained shelves, now would be the correct time to paint or stain the shelving. This process generally takes around twenty-four hours to dry before assembly. If you have selected pre-stained or painted shelving, continue to the next step.
- Take a shelf that is as wide as the wall unit, and use it as a base. Using the measuring tape, space out any horizontal breaks you plan to include in the unit, and mark them with a pencil. Once all of the horizontal breaks have been established, pre-drill a hole through the base layer. These holes will act as a guideline as to where the horizontal shelving will be placed.
- After you have established the horizontal shelving, install the shelving brackets. Shelving brackets are installed on both sides of interior horizontal shelving, and the inside of outside pieces. Adjustable brackets are highly recommended because they allow you to change the height of shelves if you need to do so in the future.
- After the holes have been pre-drilled, select the designated amount of horizontal shelving to place. Use wood glue and apply it to the end of the shelf that will be placed horizontally against the base, and screw the horizontal shelves to the base of the unit. The wood glue will act as an additional support measure for the unit.
- The final step to creating the first section of the wall unit is to place the top on the unit. The top should be the same width as the bottom shelf previously selected. Measure the top shelf in the same manner as you did for the bottom shelf, and pre- drill the holes. Apply wood glue to the top of the horizontal shelving, and apply the top shelf. Press firmly, and drill the top shelf into place.
- Take the designated number of shelving you want to place into this section, and install adjustable bracket clips. These clips need to line up exactly to the adjustable bracket in order to latch on for full support. Each shelf will contain the same amount of clips as there are brackets. Typically, people install four brackets per shelf. Once brackets have been installed, place the shelf.
- Repeat the previous steps for each section of the wall unit. Each section will need to be connected with screws in order to stay in place when they are placed on top of one another. Additional brackets can be purchased, which secure the unit to the wall. These are optional, but highly recommended especially if there are small children in the home.
- Doors can be added for extra security or privacy.
- Backing is not necessary on bedroom wall units, but it can be an option.
Yes it's true, video games can make you better at sex. This is a well kept secret that shouldn't be shared. All the jock ...
Confidence in the bedroom is of the utmost importance. A ball player with a huge bat means absolutely nothing if he does ...
If you are planning a night of amorous behavior in the bedroom, you might want to think about football. In addition to h ...