If you want to throw a party that they'll be talking about for years, you'll want to know how to build a beer bong. A beer bong is generally considered by hard core party animals to be the fastest way to chug a beer. It's use is elementary – the end of a tube goes in the mouth of the beer drinker, while beer is poured into a funnel at the other end. The force of gravity does most of the work, as the beer drinker swallows as fast as possible to avoid any spillage. The construction of a beer bong is quite simple and parts for it are available at your local hardware or home improvement store. While a professional style beer bong will include a shut off valve, similar results can be can be achieved by plugging the end of the tube with your thumb.
- 10 inch funnel
- 3 feet of tubing – clear plastic works best
- shut off valve (optional)
- small hook (optional)
- Before assembly, wash the funnel, tubing and optional valve in hot, sudsy water and then allow to the pieces to dry.
- Insert the small end of the funnel snugly into one end of the tubing. You can get a tighter fit if you soften the end of the tube by holding it in boiling water for about 10 seconds.
- If you're using the shut off valve, insert it snugly into the other end of the tubing, using the same method.
- When purchasing the items, make sure that the tubing fits snugly onto the end of the funnel. You don't want to risk leaks that will cause you to waste beer. If you plan on using the optional shut off valve, make sure you buy the appropriate size for your tubing. Clear plastic tubing is the best choice, as it makes it easier to see when all the foam has cleared from the tubing.
- When using the beer bong, the valve should be placed in the "closed" position, and the beer poured into the funnel. Wait until any foam or air bubbles clear from the tube. This is when it's helpful to have a small hook placed about 8 feet high in the wall. The beer bong can be hung from this hook as the foam settles, negating the need for someone to stand and hold it over their head. At this point, the beer drinker should sit comfortably, and place the valve end of the bong in their mouth, open the valve, and start drinking.