Learning how to build a BMX cassette is part of the process of constructing a bicycle. It is a skill that can be very useful in locations where there is no clear alternative but to use the DIY system.
Some of the aids and materials that have been identified include:
- A user’s manual opened at the relevant page
- A repair and stand kit
- Flat head and Philips screw drivers
- Allen wrench
- A cassette locking tool
- Cable cutting tool
- Cassette construction kit
- Check that all the instruments and components are available for the BMX cassette installation: The toolkit will come with the different components such as the hubs and spacers. The user needs to check that they are all available. A diagram of the installation framework will need to be constructed in order to give them a view on how the final product will appear. The kit might be already assembled, or it might require that the user assembles it.
- Assembly of the different components of the BMX cassette: The user manual will give some detailed instructions on the creation of the cassette. These parts should be put together in the exact sequence that has been allocated. The alternative will create problems in the use of the bike. It is better to lay out the components and then build sections of the cassette until the whole thing can be put together.
- The role of the cassette and locking procedure on the BMX: The tires will have to be mounted on the frame and then followed by the tubes. The operative needs to put some grease on the rear wheel. This can also be done on the free hub where it might connect with the cassette. The cassette is then placed on the shaft. It is important to ensure that the spacers have clicked on effectively. A simple shake might indicate whether they are loose. The locking tool is then used to complete the secure installation.
- Some parts to check to ensure that the BMX cassette will not be disrupted: The chain must be measured and cut to the exact specifications. It must not go beyond the derailleur. Excess chain parts must be removed. The cassette will only stand if the wheel and frame is complete as per the bicycle construction details. The cassette is prone to wear and tear as well as the possibility that it might fall off the wheel. If the user is unsure about the security of the construction, they need to use the screw drivers to tighten the installation.