How To Build A BMX Wheel
It is generally a good idea to learn how to build a BMX wheel if you are interested in properly maintaining your BMX bike. This experience is less expensive than the trip to the garage, and it can also be an interesting pastime for the operative.
Materials that are needed to build a BMX wheel:
- A rim
- A hub
- Spoke nipples
- Wheel truing stand
- Spoke wrench
- Flat screwdriver
- Medium weight oil
- Smoke tension meter
- Dishing tool
- Nipple driver
The process of building a BMX wheel:
- Orientation and initiation of the BMX wheel construction process. You need to orientate your body to start the process. The rim is placed in the lap with the valve stem hole across. The hub is put in the middle of the rim with the axle vertical. You must ensure that you are comfortable and can easily reach all the parts.
- The use of the spoke on the BMX wheel. A spoke is dropped in every other hole in the hub. A spoke is put in a hole on the left of the valve stem with the offset facing upwards. The nipple is threaded with a few turns. The process is repeated until the complete set is through. The spokes should then be crossed in a triple line until the basic frame is visible. There are alternate holes and spokes in order to give the wheel strength.
- Hub construction and seating on the BMX wheel. The spokes should then be put on the hub with a flat screwdriver. They are gently pressed against the flange. You need to drop lubricant on each spoke and also near the rim. The spokes are then tightened until only a couple are showing. The nipple driver will increase the speed of the operation. Tension can be increased by the half turn. The wheel then needs to be trued laterally and radially. During this process, the arms must be close to the rim. A tightening of the two spokes with the rim pulled in the opposite direction will true the rim.
- Relieving stress on the spokes and shaping the BMX wheel. The spokes tend to accumulate tension throughout this process and will need to be relieved by squeezing the parallel spokes manually. This process will ensure the durability of the wheel. A tension meter can also help to ensure that the wheel is set in the right proportions. A quick ride will also indicate whether there are any serious problems to be dealt with. If the pinging on the first ride is very high, then the truing process will need to be repeated.
- You should use brass nipples because they are the cheaper alternative.
- Double butted spokes are better for ensuring that the wheel can last longer.
- The rim chosen should have eyelets in order to increase the strength of the entire installation.