How To Build A Boat
Boat lovers always inquire about how to build a boat. A few things need to be considered before trying to build a boat. The most important thing is to choose a relatively simple design rather than going for complicated ones like 55 Loadstar. To build a boat is a laborious procedure so take care in choosing a design so that it fits your needs.
Things required in building a Carolina Dori style boat:
- Glen-L Kit
- Epoxy Glue
- Keel of Timber
- The very first step is to make the ribs of the boat. Take lumber two by four planks. Three pieces almost three feet and six two and a half.
- These are joined together, attaching two smaller pieces on each side of the longer piece. These joints are fixed with epoxy glue and later screwed to hold them firm.
- This structure is then placed upside down on a horizontal spine jig built almost six feet from the ground. These ribs are positioned according to the length of the boat desired. Cut slight bonds in the rib frame to hold the keel later.
- A keel made of timber is placed across the ribs, at the point where the bonds are cut. This is fixed in place with epoxy glue and screws.
- Now the longitudinal planks are fixed. The outer frame is called the sheer clamp. This is made using two long narrow planks made of lumber. These are placed on the ground, parallel to the keel.
- Two smaller planks are used on the edges to create a pointed end. Using small lumber pieces attach the keel to the sheer clamp, through a smaller frame called a chine log. All the joints are attached firmly with the help of screws.
- The whole skeleton is faired. This process removes uneven edges and gives the boat a smoother finish. Now sheets of plywood are attached to the frame. Extra material is cut off to give a neater shape.
- The bottom plank is attached similarly. Once all the planks are attached the whole structure is pasted with fiberglass, both inside and outside. This strengthens the whole structure.
- Now the boat can be flipped over. Paint the whole structure and cut a small portion for oars.
- Attach two planks across the boat to make benches for rowers. The boat is ready to sail.