Need to know how to build a bookcase wall? While there are an abundance of bookcases available in every shape and size, you may want a bookcase that will be a permanent part of your house. This has the advantage of safety. When creating a wall bookcase the shelves are connected directly to the wall, making it almost impossible to tip over on a child.
To build a bookcase wall, you will need:
- Shelving (wood or metal)
- A saw
- A tape measure
- Nails or screws
- Wood glue
- Stain, varnish or paint
- Paint brushes
- A stud finder
- A finished wall
- Shelf brackets
- A level
- Chalk (to mark the wall)
- Sand paper
- Pick a wall to build you bookcase on. It is best if you can pick a load-bearing wall if you are planning on displaying a large number of books. If you are planning on displaying some books and some display items, the weight will not be as great as for a books-only bookcase.
- Set down on paper exactly what you want your bookcase to look like when you are done. Be as specific as possible. The more details you put into your plans, the fewer revisions will need to be made, and this will save you money in the long run.
- Make a shopping list from the plans you have just completed. Be sure to not forget the small items like wood glue and paint brushes. You do not want to have to make a second trip to the home improvement center in the middle of your project.
- Purchase your supplies. Make sure to purchase enough stain, paint or varnish to complete your project as color may vary one lot number to another. This will eliminate the irritation of trying to get an exact match to your stain, paint or varnish should you run out.
- Cut wood to specified lengths. Sand any rough edges for a smooth, professional finish.
- Paint or varnish in a well-ventilated area or outside. Inhaling paint fumes can cause permanent brain damage.
- Construct your bookcase according to your plans. Make sure that when you are attaching the shelving to the wall that you anchor to studs for added stability.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …