How To Build Box Blinds
If you are a hunter, then you should learn how to build box blinds. Box blinds can be very handy if you are going on an outdoor vacation or for hunting. They serve the purpose of providing you comfort and are great security wise as well.
Following are the things required to build box blinds:
- Four Pieces of Plywood 1.5 inch in Length
- Lumber: Two 8 Foot Long 2-by-4 and Two 6 Foot Long 2-by-4 pieces
- Screw gun
- Miter Saw
- Table Saw
- Measuring Tape
- Open Space
- Decide the Space: You have to choose the area you want to use to build box blinds. Box blinds if build on a raised area rather than plain area, is better because box blinds made this way are much safer to use. Level the elevated ground and make sure it is dry before you start building box blinds.
- Make the Frame: You will start by building the front and back of the frame of the box blinds. Lumber will be used as front and back of the frame. Use miter saw to slice 5 of the 8 foot long 2-by-4 pieces of lumber by measuring it to 45 inches. Now using your screw gun and screw these sliced pieces of lumber between the front and back pieces of the frame. Now place the ½ inch plywood on top of the front and back frame and after setting it in position, fasten the screws.
- Size of the Frame: Your frame should be 4 by 8 feet.
- Assembling the Frame: You will need to put together frame of the front wall by making use of the 8 foot long 2-by-4 for top part and 5 foot long 2-by-4 pieces of lumber for the vertical posts. For the back wall you will have to use the 6 foot long 2-by-4 piece of lumber and the side walls will have one vertical post of 5 feet and the other of 6 feet with a 45 inch base. Piece for the top will be assembled by making sure of the angle that is made by the vertical posts from front to the back wall.
- Use your Screw gun: Once you have assembled the frame, it is time to screw it together with wooden pegs. Position all pieces and start from screwing the base into position. Then attach each wall to its opposite. You can fix uprights, positioning them at 16-inch centers, leaving space for the windows.
- Make Window Spacing: Now make another small frame for the windows. The number and size of the windows is your choice but just make sure it suits your height and does not deter your target, if you are using box blinds for hunting purposes. You can fix windows between the vertical posts of the walls.
- Cover Roof of the Box Blinds: A sloped roof will be created because of the difference in the heights of the vertical posts of the front and back walls. You will need 2 pieces of ½ inch plywood. Make sure it is 8 feet long and at least 2 ½ feet wide to completely envelope the roof.
- Encasing the Outside: Measure the sizes of the ½ inch plywood using a measuring tape. You can cut the required pieces with a table saw. Encase the external part of the box blinds with different sizes of the ½ inch plywood.