Need to know how to build a cement mixer? Building a cement mixer is not a project to undertake if you are not mechanically inclined. While not easy, if you do enough home improvement jobs that require you to mix cement often, building your own cement mixer will be worth the effort. Your average cement mixer starts out at around $300, but you can build your own for a fraction of the cost.
To make a cement mixer, you will need:
- A screwdriver
- A pipe wrench
- A drill with a 1/4" bit and 3/32" bit
- Auto body putty
- A redundant washing machine drum (see the note at the end before selecting a drum)
- A hacksaw
- Galvanized pieces of iron pipe
- Used gears
- A crankshaft
- Angle iron scrap
- Metal brackets or supports
- To build your cement mixer, first make the blending mechanism. Using the scrap iron, fashion blades for inside the drum. Install these blades using the brackets. Position the blades by drilling holes in the drum and using the 1/4” bolts.
- Using the auto body putty, seal the drum. Cover all of the inside of the drum and the holes at the bottom. Make sure this is done evenly and that the drum is coated well to prevent leaks later.
- Construct the frame. Thread the galvanized pieces of iron pipe together and attach to the back with the bolts. The pipe should go through the body of the drum.
- The roller mechanism is made up of a central rotating axle that is attached to the body of the drum. Mount the drum over the shaft. It should slide and turn easily. Attach a crankshaft to operate the mixer with ease.
Note that the roller mechanism operates by use of gears that are specific for different makes and models of the washing machine. Before beginning, make sure that the drum you select has a roller mechanism that you can turn manually.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.