How To Build A Chopper Motorcycle
Want to learn how to build a chopper motorcycle? By purchasing a chopper kit and some tools you can start make your own motorcycle. Here’s a guide on how to build a chopper motorcycle.
What you need:
- Chopper Kit
- Tape measure
- Assemble and mount the front suspension of the motorcycle. Insert the greased bearing at the bottom of the neck bolt then neck bolt and top bearing through the head tube. Insert and tighten down the top nut the insert the large head tube bolt.
- Insert the engine’s lower and upper mount bolts without tightening the nuts yet. The chopper kit comes with the engine pre-installed on the frame. Tighten the motor mount bolts until there are no gaps.
- Install the voltage regulator at the engine’s bottom in front of the rear engine mount. Disconnect voltage regulator wire plug. Run the wires up and in the oil can. Reconnect the wires in the plug. Ground the starter located inside the rear motor.
- Mount the front fender and install the risers. Install the front axle through the legs. Straighten legs at correct height alignment. Tighten the triple tree nuts. Mount the fender nuts to the front fender then the fender to the legs tabs. Install clean risers then the bars and caps.
- Install the rear fender using the frame’s center bolts. Install the brace tubes allowing the fork end to be attached to the frame. The left bracket should have the tail light attachment.
- Attach the forward controls and cable. Insert the axle bushings before the foot peg. Move the bolts on the threaded cable adjusters forward to adjust tension.
- Mount the forward control rear brake master cylinder and reservoir. Install it near the top of the battery box. Install the brake rod and springs. Insert the rear springs through the rear brake light actuator’s hole and tighten.
- Install the front tire brake rotor which goes to the left side followed by the short axle spacer. The long axle spacer goes to the right side.
- Mount the front brake master cylinder and lever on the right handle bar. Plug the brake light and starter switch plug from the brake lever under the tank. Bolt the calliper to the left side.
- Install rear tire and break. Position the brake calliper and axle to hold it. Place a spacer at the end of the axle. Install the rear tire while pushing the axle through the wheel hub then install the chain side spacer. Ready the lock nut on the axle without tightening.
- Attach the chain. Adjust the axle and chain adjusters if needed.
- Mount the carburettor with the gas in line on top. Insert the throttle cable though the retainer cap pulling down excess cable then install the spring on the cable and put them on the slide. Lubricate the slide and put it in the carburettor.
- Mount the jockey shifter. The top and transmission spline bracket should be mounted horizontally to the electric starter cover then connect all linkage.
- Mount the pet cock and the clean gas tank. Use gas resistant sealer to seal the tank threads.
- Fasten the exhaust to the exhaust studs. Then mount the rear end of the exhaust to the tab on the frame with nut, bolt, rubber and metal washer.
- Attach the kicker pedal and arm by loosening up its nut and pushing it in the spline shaft vertically and tightly. Connect the fuel line from the pet cock to the carburetor.
- Bolt the head lights. Connect the switches and horn signals accordingly.
- Mount the front turn signals on the front turn suspension while the rear turn signals on the rear frame with the brackets provided. Connect the plugs correctly beneath the tank. Then mount and plug the rear light into the faux oil tank.
- Ensure the parts are complete once the kit is delivered.
- Charge the battery while building the bike to save time.
Posted on: Dec. 07, 2010