Learning how to build a cotton press is a way to shape pulp into beautiful paper shapes. It can be used for a variety of crafts. You can create the mold and make the cotton pulp using a blender. It is a fun and easy project for kids.
In order to make a cotton press, you will need:
- Silicone spread
- Item you wish to make a mold from
- Plastic wrap
- Cotton balls
- Paper towel
- No matter which brand of silicone you use to make your cotton press, it will come in two parts. The silicone and the catalyst will be in separate containers.
- Mix the two containers together. Use equal parts. The colors should be two distinct colors. Blend the colors until they become a single color. Usually one is white and the other is yellow. The spread is now ready to use. It will remain usable for about twenty minutes, so be sure to work fast.
- Apply the spread to the object you wish to make the mold from. You can use a fancy plaque or face of a doll, just about anything will do for the cotton press mold. Use a firm, flat brush to make the application. Wait about an hour.
- After the hour has elapsed, apply a second coat to the object. This time make the layer thicker. Wait another hour.
- You can then apply the third coat. Make this coat thicker than both the previous coats for your cotton press.
- Smooth the final layer. Wrap a small piece of plastic wrap over the final layer of silicone. Allow the silicone to fully cure before removing from the mold. It should be about two hours.
- Remove the object from your cotton press mold. Trim any excess silicone using scissors.
- Shred the cotton balls into pieces. Tear the paper towel into strips. Toss into the blender. Use enough to fill the blender halfway. Fill the rest of the blender with warm water. Add a tsp. of liquid starch. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Place the mixture into a piece of cloth. Press absorb excess water.
- You are then able to press the cotton mixture into your mold. Pour the cotton pulp into the mold. Press down. Push using your hands. Allow to dry for a few hours. When the cotton is dry, remove it from the cotton press mold.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.