Learning how to build a couch frame is a fairly simple and straightforward process. This project might require more time than simply buying a frame, but it helps showcase your individuality.
To build a couch frame, you will need
- Two-by-four boards
- Screws, bolts and nuts
- Wood glue
- Slotted L-brackets
- Before starting, decide on the type of couch you want to build. Is it a two seater or a three? A traditional couch or an L-shaped one?
- Once you decide, build the couch frame. Create a rectangular shape for the seat part using the two-by-four pieces. Secure these to one another by using wood glue. When it dries, hammer them together using nails or screws. Add two-by-fours along the length of the frame–six inches apart–to further secure the structure.
- Repeat the above process for the back piece. Generally, the back piece should be smaller than the seat piece, which is why you should use a saw to cut the two-by-fours before nailing them together to make the frame.
- Using the plywood, add triangle supports in the corners of the back and seat pieces to reinforce the frame. Attach the back piece to the seat part. If you want the back piece to be slanted, you should either use triangle supports or slotted L-brackets.
- For the side arms you could simply use a single two-by-four or make an entire frame, like in steps two and three. Attach the side arms to the seat and back using thick bolt screws.
- For the legs, simply nail or screw small pieces of two-by-fours to each corner of the bottom of the seat frame.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...