Learning how to build a crab fishing boat is a process that requires a lot of your time. You will need some supplies and an understanding of the uses of various shop tools in order to build a seaworthy craft. However, if you are into crab fishing, having a boat of your own can be a serious perk. The following tips will show you how to build a crab fishing boat.
To build a crab fishing boat, you will need:
- Long boards of wood, bent and at least eight inches wide by one-half inch thick
- Plywood sheets
- A hammer
- A saw, such as a table saw or electric hand saw
- First, purchase all of the necessary materials. They should be available at any construction supply company. Building supply companies will help you with bending boards, or they may offer supple curved woods, which will do just fine.
- Decide upon the length and width of your boat. Crab boats are usually smaller vessels that allow one to maneuver them with a paddle or small outboard motor to retrieve pots. Your boards should be cut according to the size of the boat, so that the ones that will make up the top of the hull are longer than those that will form the bottom.
- The boards must be cut and bent to make the shape of the hull of the boat. Then, they may be attached, slightly overlapping each other like shingles on a roof. Nail them together in this fashion.
Build two sides of the boat, each one curved. Connect the two sides at the bottom, where the boards are shortest, and the boat should open up at the top.
- Seeing that both sides are bent, nail the points of the boards together at the front and back to secure the boat's hull. Line the inside of the hull with plywood, as you feel is necessary.
Sand and varnish the boat. Once you have done this, your boat is ready to be put to use on the water.
- You may want to mount a motor to make the collection of crab pots easier. Build a flat area at the back of the hull to which a small outboard motor may be attached.
- Construct a box with plywood sides in which crabs may be kept once caught. A large cooler will also suffice. If doing this, make the box toward the front of the boat, and upon emptying your crab pots, the tasty crustaceans may be placed in the box to keep them in place.
Although they are basic, these instructions outline the process of building a crab fishing boat. You may find that you want to make minor modifications according to your taste. Shaping the hull with bent boards is an essential part of any boat-building process.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!