How To Build A Dog House
Your dog deserves the best you can afford, so maybe it's time you learn how to build a dog house. You can save yourself a few bucks, and still provide a nice home for your dog, by learning how to build a dog house on your own. Rest assured, your dog will never know the difference between a homemade and store bought dog house.
To build a dog house you will need:
- Measuring tape
- Determine the size of doghouse your dog needs. Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't have to replicate the Taj Mahal. Just give him enough room to get his tail through the door and snuggle in.
- Buy some plywood through your local hardware store. Some experts recommend using cedar to build a dog house, but keep in mind that will probably jack up the price a bit.
- Decide whether you want shingles or plywood for the roof. You'll have to put wood underneath regardless, but if it doesn't rain much where you live, you can probably skip the shingles unless you want them for aesthetic taste. But if you get a variety of weather, opt for the shingles.
- Build the foundation of the doghouse. You can use 2x4s for this, as it should be thicker here than everywhere else on the dog house.
- Build the sides and back of the dog house. You can cut strips of plywood to look like siding or take the easy way out and leave the plywood in sheets. This way requires far less cutting, and you can still get away with building a dog house that looks good for less work.
- Use your saw to cut out a doorway in the fourth sheet, which will serve as the front of the doghouse. You've seen many pictures where the dog house entrance is hoop shaped, but unless you want to saw that shape to perfect proportions, you can leave a rectangular opening. Again, your dog won't know the difference.
- Install the shingles and paint the dog house. Make sure you use exterior paint designed for outdoor wood. And whatever you do, don't paint it pink. You shouldn't need to be told twice.