How To Build A Dog Kennel
If you can figure out how to build a dog kennel, you will likely save a little money and get the design you need. Building a dog kennel is not difficult, but it does take a little skill and construction know-how. Use the following tips to build your kennel.
Materials needed to build a dog kennel:
- Heavy-duty fencing
- Lock or latch
- Support posts
- Lumber (or another material for building the shelter)
- Check local regulations before building a dog kennel. You don’t want to get in trouble just for building a bigger kennel than you are allowed. In some areas, there are zoning regulations that depict the size kennel you are allowed to build in your yard. Your local city office should be able to help you out.
- Measure and measure again. Take very careful measurements of the area on which you plan to build a dog kennel. Where do you plan to build it-by the house? The garage? Consider the distance it needs to be away from these buildings.
- Purchase the materials for building your dog kennel (see the list above). Use quality materials that will stand up to inclement weather and your dog’s weight. Be sure to buy a lock or latch to keep intruders out and your dog in.
- Sink your kennel into the ground. Unfortunately, your dog may be able to dig under the fence if you build your dog kennel completely above the ground. Be sure the fencing and support posts are secure in the ground. This will also help to keep other animals out. You don’t want other dogs getting in while yours is in heat (or vice versa).
- Provide shelter from the elements. Your dog should be able to spend his time indoors or out; there should be an area that is protected from the elements, as well as an outdoor area for him to lounge in. Build your dog kennel with a “house” and an outdoors.
- Build the dog kennel on a hill, if possible. If water is able to collect in your dog’s kennel, it will become very messy. Would you want to sleep in a mud pit? Building the kennel on higher ground will keep your dog’s home clean and dry.