Learning how to build a DVR can make a huge difference in your home theater. Learning how to build a DVR can also be great for your living room or entertainment room and even the bedroom. There are many reasons to learn how to build a DVR instead of buying one. Building a DVR will enable you to customize it to your needs, everything from hard drive space to networking capabilities. Building a DVR will make a huge difference in your television viewing experience.
- Select a computer model. Select a computer to use as a base for a DVR. Purchasing a mini system can be a good option. Laptops and old PC's will also work. Many users find purchasing a mini system is the best alternative to save space when building a DVR. Choose a computer to make into a DVR that is fairly quiet.
- Install necessary upgrades. Consider installing necessary upgrades to your computer model. These upgrades may include a large hard drive (500 GB or more). Other upgrades include a TV tuner card which will allow you to connect the machine to your TV feed. Consider purchasing a remote control for your PC as well, typically USB based.
- Connect the system. Connect the computer system to act as a DVR to your television with an HDMI cable if possible. If there is no HDMI output on the computer consider using a standard A/V cable or a scan converter. Purchase an HDMI video card for the computer you wish to turn into a DVR for best results.
- Install software. Install DVR software on the computer system. Consider using Windows Media Center which is included with the Home Premium version of Windows 7. Consider alternative third-party software which you can search for.
- Configure the software. Configure the software on the computer you wish to make into a DVR. Configure the software for your location, allowing it to download the proper guide information.
- When building a DVR it is best to have a computer with multiple hard drives allowing for a total space of 500 GB or more.
- Building a DVR is possible with both Windows and Linux. Many DVR software solutions are Linux based.
- Remote control is key to a DVR as it will enable you to use it comfortable from the couch. Remote control kits typically consist of a USB receiver and a remote control.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.