Need to know how to build an electric guitar neck? This article will step you through the steps necessary to build a electric guitar from scratch.
The tools you will need before getting started:
- Piece of wood, wide enough to be a guitar neck. The thickness can vary, usually looking to be in the range of 20 mm thick.
- Piece of wood for the fret board, usually in the range of 6 mm thick.
- Saw or electric saw
- Shaping saw
- Large clips to hold the wood in place
- Truss rods
- Shaving the surface. First you will want to start by shaving the wood surface to get a perfectly flat surface.
- Head stock. Use your pencil to draw two lines, on the back and front of where you want the head stock to be located. You can choose what degree you want the head stock to be at. The normal range is twelve degrees to fifteen degrees, but this is up to you.
- Shave the two pieces. Take the piece you just cut off and put it on top of the neck. Have the angle of the cut off piece facing the right of the guitar neck. Next shave the cut piece and neck board in an angle to polish the head stock.
- Glue the head stock. Next glue the two pieces together if they are perfectly flat. You can have the thickness be anywhere from 12 mm to 17 mm. It is up to you how thick you would like the head stock.
- Time to saw. Now you can saw the neck out of the block of wood by using your saw. It would be easier to mark with a pencil where you plan to cut so you avoid any costly mistakes. After you have sawed the wood you can sand the edges to make it smoother.
- Truss rod. Next you will want to insert the truss rod into the guitar neck. To figure out what rod to use reference our article on truss rods. Either truss rod will work for this project. Make a narrow channel for the truss rod to be placed in the neck. The truss rod will be placed in the head stock and down a quarter of the neck.
- Fret board. Now place the fret board on top of the neck board. Use a screw to drill it into the first and fifteenth fret. Don't drill into the middle or else you will hit the truss rod.
- Shaping saw or saw. Now you can shape the front of the neck as well as cut the fret board to align with the neck board using the shaping saw or a regular saw. Be patient with this step, being careful and precise is very important.
- Creating the frets. Next you will want to pencil in the frets on the guitar neck. There are many online calculators you can use to calculate the fret spacing, depending on what scale you wish to use. Be very precise with this step. Drawing the lines perfectly straight is key.
- Back of the neck. The last step is to shape the back of the neck. Use the shaping saw to complete this task.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?