For those wishing to save a little cash, learning how to build a fence is an easy task. There are hundreds of variations in fence types to choose from. Be sure to pick the fence type that will best serve your needs.
- Tape measure
- Fencing material (chain link, wood, wire, etc.)
- Posthole digger
- Quikrete post concrete (optional)
- Staples, nails or fence clips (to attach fence to poles)
- Gates and hardware
- Wood sealant (optional)
- Paint brush (optional)
- Measure the distance of the fence you wish to install. Most fencing is sold by the foot. The height of the fence will also affect the cost of the fencing.
- Purchase the materials required to complete your project. Get enough posts to set them about ten to twelve feet apart. If building a wood fence, remember to purchase sealant and paint brushes.
- Dig the post holes. Mix concrete if setting poles in concrete. Set posts and allow the concrete to set for at least twenty-four hours before attaching fencing. If using T-posts, no post holes need to be dug. Just use T-post driver to drive the T-posts into the ground.
- Attach fencing to posts. If building a chain link fence, stretch the fence tight between posts using a piece of pipe or rebar the same height as the fence (the bar gets woven in and out of the fence to provide a uniform tension).
- Add gates. A gate is necessary to provide access to the fenced area.
- Pouring a cement footer after the posts have been placed prior to adding the fencing will ensure that pets will have to dig a tunnel to get out of the yard. Few pets will persist in tunneling.
- If using wood fencing, apply a sealant to protect the life of your fence.
- If building an electrical fence, make sure to post notification of electrical current in a prominent place.
- It is possible to purchase sections of fence that come ready to attach to the fence pole.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.