How To Build A Fish Tank
Learn how to build a fish tank and take pride in creating a great home for your fish. Having a fish aquarium displayed in your living room or den will provide beauty and serenity to your home. If you build the tank yourself you will actually feel so proud that you created something so beautiful. Below is listed the things you will need and instructions on how to build a fish tank.
- Glass (5 pieces)
- Acetone and paper towels
- Sandpaper (silicone carbide)
- Non toxic sealant (100% silicone)
- Duct tape (2" wide)
- Marker (washable)
- Decide on the size of tank you want and calculate what thickness of glass you will need.
- Order glass for the five sides.
- File down sharp edges with the sandpaper.
- Mark each piece of glass to identify as bottom, back, front, right and left sides.
- Tear duct tape into 5-inch strips, about fifteen to twenty.
- Place glass marked as bottom on workspace, clean edges with paper towel splashed with a little acetone.
- Place eight pieces of tape under bottom, halfway under and halfway out, sticky side up. Then put two pieces on the sides of the bottom.
- Take the side marked front and place a bead of sealant the entire length of front, placing in position press glass down firmly on the sealant, then secure strips of tape.
- Using either left or right side, put sealant across bottom and down side that will meet. When firmly set into bottom and front, use one hand to hold in place and flip the two strips up from bottom of tank. Secure the corner with two new strips of tape. Continue until all sides are secure to each other and the bottom.
- Put sealant on all edges inside, smearing it in the joints, let dry for 24 hours. Fill with water and let sit for 24 hours. If no leakage, the tank is ready for use.
Several things to make your fish tank look beautiful and complete include; a hood with lights, gravel, plants, and filter. Add colorful rocks or driftwood and don't forget the beautiful fish! They will enjoy their beautiful new home.