You just built your new garage and now you need to know how to build a garage door so you can close it off and keep your tools and car safe. By building your own garage door, you can design it just the way you want it and save money, too! It will give you a great feeling of accomplishment and pride.
Tools and materials you will need:
- Overhead garage door hangers
- Wood glue
- Choose the type of garage door you want to build. There are two types to choose from: a metal door made of 24-gauge sheet aluminum. This one is mounted on a light steel frame. The other type is a 5/8” plywood door mounted on a wood frame. The wooden one is best for house garages and buildings that do not have heavy usage.
- Building a metal garage door. Measure the opening for your door. Cut two lengths of 1-1/4” by 1-1/4 inch by 3/16” steel angle iron two inches less than the width of the opening. These are the two pieces for the top and bottom of the frame. They will allow a 1” spacing on each side of the door for hinges and easy movement.
- Measure the vertical frame pieces. Take off 1” from the measurement to allow a ½” clearance at the top and bottom of the door for movement. They should be installed 12” apart so there is one for every foot of door width.
- Cut two vertical and two horizontal pieces and lay them on a flat, open space. Make sure the frame is square. Weld the remaining vertical pieces at the top and bottom. Smooth the welds by grinding and then attach the 24-gauge piece by using rivets or 1/8” diameter machine bolts. Using fine sandpaper, smooth the edges.
- Building a wooden garage door. The same procedure for a metal door applies to a wooden door, except you use 1-1/2” Douglas fir lumber for the frame. Cut the top and bottom pieces the width of the opening minus 2”. Cut the two vertical pieces to fit between the ends. Remove 1” from the height of the door and put the vertical pieces 24” apart. Attach at the top and bottom using glue or screws. Check to make sure it is square before attaching all the pieces with glue or 3” wood screws. Drill a 1/16” pilot hole for each screw.
- Attach the ½” plywood to the frame with construction adhesive and 1-5/8” wood screws. Time excess at edges and sand to make it smooth. Prime and paint the garage door or stain it. Seal using a weather resistant sealer.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.