Figuring out exactly how to build a garage foundation requires a lot of time and dedication. Hiring someone to build your garage foundation for you can save you the time of doing it yourself, but you also have to pay a huge opportunity cost. Building garage foundations is not cheap even, if you do it yourself. However, building the foundation and saving that extra money can mean the difference between a few or no Christmas presents this year. Here are a few steps that will help you to build a garage foundation.
To build a garage foundation, you will need:
- 2 x10 form boards
- 2 x 6 form boards
- Vapor barrier
- Non-stick spray
- Foundation bolts
- 1/2-inch rebar
- Stake out the area where you will build your garage foundation. You can use chalk and other items to mark the area.
- Remove dirt using a shovel. Dig about twenty inches deep and check to make sure you are abiding by your city's building codes.
- Lay down the 2 x 10 form boards. To create a curb, make the outside form boards six inches higher than the rest.
- Lay down the 2 x 6 form boards. Place these boards six inches from the outside boards that are being used to create a curb.
- Put down two rebars. These should be two number four half-inch rebars. They should be placed down horizontally and should always be three inches away from the ground. Place the rebar on the top and bottom of the footings.
- Foundation bolts. Use these bolts to hold the sill plates. In addition, spray the inside of the form boards with a non-stick spray that will prevent the concrete from sticking with the wood. Leave this out for awhile until it dries.
- Before pouring put in a vapor barrier. This will prevent moisture from seeping through the concrete. Now pour in two inches of sand and wet it a bit and smoothen it.
- Pour the concrete. Wait for it to reach the stem walls then wait about two hours. Now remove the form board then pour the garage slab.
Building a garage foundation takes a whole lot of time and work. Take the time you need so that you can be sure to do it right the first time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.