Figuring out exactly how to build a garage foundation requires a lot of time and dedication. Hiring someone to build your garage foundation for you can save you the time of doing it yourself, but you also have to pay a huge opportunity cost. Building garage foundations is not cheap even, if you do it yourself. However, building the foundation and saving that extra money can mean the difference between a few or no Christmas presents this year. Here are a few steps that will help you to build a garage foundation.
To build a garage foundation, you will need:
- 2 x10 form boards
- 2 x 6 form boards
- Vapor barrier
- Non-stick spray
- Foundation bolts
- 1/2-inch rebar
- Stake out the area where you will build your garage foundation. You can use chalk and other items to mark the area.
- Remove dirt using a shovel. Dig about twenty inches deep and check to make sure you are abiding by your city's building codes.
- Lay down the 2 x 10 form boards. To create a curb, make the outside form boards six inches higher than the rest.
- Lay down the 2 x 6 form boards. Place these boards six inches from the outside boards that are being used to create a curb.
- Put down two rebars. These should be two number four half-inch rebars. They should be placed down horizontally and should always be three inches away from the ground. Place the rebar on the top and bottom of the footings.
- Foundation bolts. Use these bolts to hold the sill plates. In addition, spray the inside of the form boards with a non-stick spray that will prevent the concrete from sticking with the wood. Leave this out for awhile until it dries.
- Before pouring put in a vapor barrier. This will prevent moisture from seeping through the concrete. Now pour in two inches of sand and wet it a bit and smoothen it.
- Pour the concrete. Wait for it to reach the stem walls then wait about two hours. Now remove the form board then pour the garage slab.
Building a garage foundation takes a whole lot of time and work. Take the time you need so that you can be sure to do it right the first time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.