How To Build Garage Shelving
If you want to keep your garage organized, you would love to know how to build garage shelving. Garage shelving is used for keeping tools in the garage regarding vehicles, for example screw drivers. Building garage shelving is not a tough job. It requires some technique and correct measurements. Tools required for making garage shelving are as follows:
- Measuring tape
- Pencil and paper
- Material require for building garage shelving are
- Five long wood studs
- Two long wooden horizontal beams
- Joist hanger
- Using a tape measure, take some measurements on the wall horizontally and vertically so that you know how much height and width you need and note that on the paper. Take more measurements from the wall for the required width of garage shelving.
- After measuring, take a wood stud and cut it with the help of a saw into two pieces according to the height taken on the wall. These studs will be needed for legs.
- Then take a horizontal beam and cut it according to the length of garage shelving you need. Now take two wooden studs and cut them into six pieces according to the length noted down. There should be three pieces per wood stud.
- Take another wood stud and cut it into nine pieces according to the width of the garage shelving.
- Take two wood studs that are cut according to the height and measure the midpoints of the studs with the help of measuring tape. Note down the length of midpoint on a copy and divide it by three. Mark three spots on both the studs from the head till the midpoint. Now take those three wood studs, which are cut according to the length, and fix them between the marked spots with the help of a hammer and nails.
- Now take six of those wood studs which are cut according to the width and fix them on the sides of the marked spots, three on each side of the stud, to make room and support for horizontal beam. Take the measuring tape and measure the midpoint of the lengthwise stud. Mark midpoint on all the length studs. Now fix vertical studs on the midpoint. After fixing nine studs, place another three lengthwise studs which were left, put them on the vertical studs and fix them according to one length stud on three vertical studs. This will make a skeleton of garage shelving.
- Fix the skeleton on the wall with the help of nails. Now take horizontal beams, put them on each base and fix with nails. Cut out the rough edges to make it look neat.
"Creative Homeowner: Garages and Carports." Creative Homeowner, 2008.