How To Build A Golf Green
Are you wondering how to build a golf green? Improving your greens score can be as easy as stepping out your back door, if you have the property to build a golf green. If possible choose an elevated area in full sun to build your golf green on.
What you'll need:
- wheel barrow
- shovel, hand spade or backhoe.
- Remove debris from the area to be used to build the golf green. Use a shovel to remove rocks, clay, trees, bushes, existing grass (if any) and poor soil. Use a bobcat for larger area's.
- Drainage. Add drainage at this time if you do not have an elevated area for the golf green to be constructed in. Whether you install it yourself or have a professional do the job is up to you.
- Add soil. Using your wheel barrow move the good soil to the designated areas. Making many small piles along the designated green area will aide in distributing the soil evenly.
- Distribute the soil in the area designated for the golf green. Use a rake to distribute the soil evenly. Once the soil is raked, it will need to be rolled or compacted for a smooth base.
- Lay the golf green down. Depending on your location you can opt for real grass or fake green material. Choose bentgrass if you opt to use real grass.
- If using bentgrass you will need to water and maintain during growing period. Make sure to water according to growing specifications for your geographical area. Mow and fertilize as needed.
- If choosing artificial turf to be used as your golf green. If you choose to use artificial turf follow manufacturers instructions regarding their choice of top layer for the golf green.
- Install your putting hole and flag. These can be purchased on line. Install the putting hole according to manufacturers instructions.