How To Build A Half Pipe
You can learn how to build a half pipe and invite your friends over to skate instead of paying to skate at a skate park. If you are looking to build a half pipe yourself, it is a complex task, but you can accomplish it with some determination and a little woodworking skill. Use these instructions to build a half pipe in your own back yard.
To build a half pipe, you will need:
- A pencil
- Measuring tape
- Two-by-six boards
- Two-inch wood screws
- Four large plywood sheets
- Concrete mixture
- One-by-six boards
- Tar paper
- Diagram the size and dimensions of your half pipe. Ensure that you have adequate space to build the pieces and enough room to house the half pipe. Decide if you are going to build the half pipe inside or outside.
- Create the bottom section of the half pipe. This section is flat and will fit between the two ramps on the side. Line two-by-six boards, twelve inches apart, standing on their sides vertically. Frame them by building a box around them using additional two-by-six boards, securing the structure together with wood screws. You should construct the bottom section as you would the wall of a house. Lay a longer two-by-six board diagonally to strengthen the structure.
- Create the sides of the ramps using large plywood sheets. Cut four of these pieces using a jigsaw, ensuring they are identical. Two fit on the right ramp and two fit on the left ramp. Place them there, vertically, securing them with wood screws.
- Build the two curved sides of the ramp. This is the part that the skaters will use as a ramp. Continue laying two-by-six boards twelve inches apart, following the plywood sides as your outline and securing them with wood screws. Build a flat, two-foot section at the top of the ramp for stability and use large four-by-four boards as the structure's skeleton, standing vertically and mounted into the ground with concrete.
- Create the surface of the half pipe by lining it with one-by-six boards. Alternatively you can line it with plywood. Secure these boards down with two sets of screws at the top, bottom and middle of each.
- Cover your half pipe with tar paper. This is not necessary but can ensure that your half pipe has a long life. Try out your ramp and enjoy skating with your friends!